This article will describe how to build a UAV. An Unmanned Arial Vehicle, or UAV for short, are advanced robotic controlled planes that carry surveillance equipment and/or weapons. They are used by the military, homeland security, and even by firefighters to help combat fires. This article will give insight into how to build a UAV.
1. There is a great deal of work in building a UAV. It must be lightweight yet have sufficient power to stay in the air for long periods of time. First, you will need to design the body of the UAV, but to do this, you must estimate all the components that will be included in the UAV. Aerospace engineers can design the body to be aerodynamic, have a large wing span, and still have room for all the needed technology inside.
2. Next the shape and design of the body will be translated into components, and molds will be machined. These molds will take layers of carbon fiber and epoxy resin that will be cured in a high pressure oven called an autoclave. The components will then be assembled with adhesives and fasteners creating a lightweight composite body.
3. Next, the body of the UAV will be filled with a power source, a motor, a propeller to provide thrust, and all the necessary controls. Communication equipment is need as well, so that the UAV can be controlled by someone on land.
4. Once all the components are installed and tested, the UAV is complete. It is now time for it to take flight, preferable in the desert where crashing will not injure anyone.
Tips & Warning
- UAVs are extremely expensive, so save up.
- Some UAVs are bigger then passenger airplanes, so have plenty of room.
- If you are successful in building a UAV, be sure to check with the government before selling them, as they may be illegal to sell.